With Invisalign's removable aligners, it easy to clean your teeth during your orthodontic treatment. But it’s important that you keep the aligners themselves clean, too! Here’s how to do it.
- Whenever you take our your aligners, take them out. Otherwise, dry saliva and plaque will build up over time, creating the ideal breeding ground for foul smelling bacteria.
- Brush and floss your teeth carefully when you remove them, otherwise you risk getting food particles and bacteria stuck in between your teeth and your aligner when you put them back on.
- Clean your aligners with clear anti-bacterial soft soap and a soft toothbrush regularly. This is a great way to get rid of unwanted bacteria and keep your aligners clean and smelling fresh. Rinse thoroughly before putting the aligners back in your mouth.
- Try to not drink anything but water when you have your aligners on. Overtime, your aligners could stain if you drink liquids such as coffee or tea.
- Don't use toothpaste to clean your aligners unless you have to. Toothpaste is abrasive, and may cause your aligners to dull, or develop small scratches that trap bacteria.
- When you're not wearing your aligners, don’t leave them exposed or uncovered. Always put them right in their case (after a thorough cleaning). Leaving your aligners out in the open exposes them to bacteria, and increases the likelihood that they’ll be damaged or lost.